Saturday 19 March 2011

Stand By For Action!

Something a bit new for this blog. I've decided to start a marathon viewing of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's classic productions - all the way from Four Feather Falls to Space: 1999. Why? Because I'm mad probably. Some of this will be new to me: (I've never seen Four Feather Falls or Supercar before, and only a handful of episodes of Fireball XL5); some will be like revisiting old friends. But I want to do it in order, and in context, and see if I can follow the development of the Anderson production.

It's often baffled me over the years the way that the "Gerry Anderson production" has come to be seen almost as a genre in itself, that one tv producer can have fans of his own who embrace all his productions as if they're part of a single huge series. Rather than a career in tv production spawning a variety of shows, highs and lows, successes and failures. But maybe I'm wrong - I want to find out...

So, I'll be watching:

Four Feather Falls
Supercar
Fireball XL5
Stingray
Thunderbirds (including the movies)
Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
Joe 90
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun
The Secret Service
UFO
Space: 1999
The Day After Tomorrow

and writing about my thoughts and feelings here on this blog. It'll be interesting to see if I can get to the end, or whether I'll go mad in the process. If it's really successful, I may even go on to Terrahawks and some of the more recent shows - nothing in the world would induce me to watch Space Precinct again though - besides, I don't own a copy.

So, look out for this marathon, or "Anderthon" as I've decided to call it, which will be starting here very soon.

No comments: